This Blog Has Moved to themorningbreaks.wordpress.com

Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2009

The Scriptures - Dwell with the Source


I have made it a pursuit in my life to collect as many doctrinal commentaries on the scriptures as I can. I often have both my scriptures along side these volumes open as I study with the thought that they can provide additional insight. I cannot deny that I feel they do in some ways provide just that, but I also feel as though they can detract from receiving teachings from the true instructor: the Spirit. The following quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley supports the idea that focusing our studies solely on the scriptures would be more fruitful:



“I do not concern myself much with reading long commentary volumes designed to enlarge at length upon that which is found in the scriptures. Rather, I prefer to dwell with the source, tasting of the unadulterated waters of the fountain of truth— the word of God as he gave it and as it has been recorded in the books we accept as scripture. . . .

Through reading the scriptures, we can gain the assurance of the Spirit that that which we read has come of God for the enlightenment, blessing, and joy of his children.

I urge our people everywhere to read the scriptures more.”

Gordon B. Hinckley - Feasting upon the Scriptures,” Ensign, Dec. 1985, 45

My reaction to this statement is not to pile up my institute and seminary manuals for the next garage sale. Rather, I think my study of the scriptures going forward will begin exclusively with the scriptures without anything else but a pad and pencil on the table. When I do not understand something I will follow the pattern given by the Lord in the Doctrine and Covenants:

D&C 9:8

But, behold, I say unto you, that you must astudy it out in your bmind; then you must cask me if it be right...


I do believe one component of studying it out in your mind is to do your homework which also includes additional direction given by the Lord in the Doctrine and Covenants:

D&C 118:88

...seek ye out of the best dbooks words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.


I would consider examples of best books (amongst others) as commentaries written by men and women who have dedicated their lives to the study of ancient and modern day scripture. But, when it comes time to really find the answer our Heavenly Father has prepared for the question we have at this specific time in our lives, it is He who will speak thoughts and impressions to our minds line upon line and precept upon precept. This is the power of the Comforter promised by the Son to His apostles before His ascension:

John 14: 26

But the aComforter, which is the bHoly Ghost, whom the Father will send in my cname, he shall dteach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

No comments: